Acne Treatment - Pre & Post Care
- Use sunscreen and physical sun protection.
- Avoid extended sun exposure, i.e. beach, travel to sunny locations, sunbathing, sports outdoors.
- Inform your BBL clinician if any physician has ordered Accutane for you in the last 6 months.
- Inform your doctor of any medical conditions or medications you are taking that might sensitize you to light, affect wound healing or affect coagulation.
- You may experience some redness in the treatment area that should resolve within a few hours.
- If the treated area is especially warm within the first 12 hours after, a cold compress or ice pack can be used.
- You may notice darkening of your pigmented spots, followed by fading and flaking off at a later stage.
- Follow your clinician’s aftercare plan until skin is completely healed – typically one week after the treatment. The skin on your body might take longer to heal, compared to your face.
- Cleanse the skin two times a day with plain, lukewarm water and a gentle cleanser. Use your hands and fingertips to cleanse using gentle patting motions. DO NOT rub, scrub, use an exfoliant soap or skin care brush, e.g. Clarisonic in the treated area.
- Moisturizer should be applied generously with clean hands over treated area and reapplied whenever your skin feels dry.
- Sunscreen is a MUST and should be used daily beginning the day of treatment and used consistently. Use sunscreen with Broadband UVA and UVB protection and a SPF of at least 30. Ensure to reapply during sun exposure. DO NOT expose your skin to direct sun exposure for 14 days. The treated area is more prone to sunburn and pigmentation change.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and sweating until after skin has healed.
- If the skin appears red or swollen (sunburn sensation), an icepack can provide comfort, same as Vitamin E or Aloe Vera applied to the treatment area. In rare cases, oral pain relievers, i.e. Extra Strength Tylenol or Advil, may be used.
- While the skin is healing, avoid anything that will irritate the skin, such as exfoliants, shaving, too hot or too cold water and swimming pools and spas with multiple chemicals/chlorine.
- There is virtually no downtime after this non-invasive and gentle procedure. In most cases, you are able to apply make-up, return to work and resume most of your activities immediately.